Posted on August 9th, 2019 by Speare Memorial Hospital
10 Reasons Men Should Do Yoga
Most yoga classes are dominated by women. However, yoga is often recommended as a health practice for both men and women. Some even say that yoga classes are more fun and challenging than most gym workouts.
As a man, you might not be ready to give up your current exercise habits for something unfamiliar. You could be thinking – “yoga’s too feminine”, “I’m not flexible enough” or “Yoga isn’t real exercise”. Maybe you’re wondering “What can some stretching and breathing exercises really do for me?”
Just a few of the many benefits yoga can bring you physically and mentally include:
- Enhanced Strength and Flexibility: Being flexible is not a prerequisite to doing yoga. That’s like thinking you need to be strong before lifting weights or thin before eating healthy. Doing yoga will help improve your flexibility and balance, and strengthen your muscles as well.
- Weight Loss: Yoga is good for your gut health. The bending, the stretching, the breathing and different positions all help massage your internal organs, which gives an instant boost in your metabolic rate. Yoga is also a practice of mindfulness which easily translates into awareness of eating, sleeping and lifestyle habits.
- Injury Prevention: Yoga stretches your whole body, helping to gently alleviate the pain you may have in your joints. Since yoga only requires light – though often challenging – poses that help increase strength and flexibility this will more than likely decrease your risk of injury.
- Relieve Chronic Lower Back Pain: Sitting for hours on end can be a real pain in the neck and back. Yoga is one of the best ways to combat pain and misalignment and help strengthen your back, neck, and shoulders giving you better posture. Encouraging proper posture goes a long way to preventing future aches and pains.
- Fountain of Youth: No matter your age, yoga will make you feel alive and full of vitality inside and out. This, of course, doesn’t happen overnight, so you have to commit to a regular routine, even if it’s just for three sessions a week.
- Stress Relief: Yoga is one of the best ways to naturally boost your mental health – to clear and calm your mind. Yoga will help you fight all the negativity around you, and replace those feelings with positive vibes – improving your mood and energy right away.
- Improve Sexual Performance: Studies show that men of all ages can enjoy the benefits of yoga when it comes to sexual function. Increased flexibility and lower stress levels lead to better sexual performance. This includes desire, erection, performance, confidence, and orgasm.
- Stronger Bones: There are a lot of yoga poses that can increase your range of motion, overall mobility, and boost your bone health.
- Personal Challenges: Learning new poses and seeing your progress are great ways to challenge yourself physically and mentally to achieve new goals.
- Overall Wellbeing: If you’re looking to make a major lifestyle change, yoga is a great place to start as it can literally be done anywhere and promotes both physical health and mental toughness.
Join Us For Guy Yoga
Have these ten reasons convinced you to give yoga a try? Join the Speare Primary Care and RehabFit teams for Guy Yoga. This all-levels yoga class – just for men – will be held on Wednesday, August 28th at 5:30 p.m. in the Community Room at Speare at Boulder Point, 103 Boulder Point Dr. Plymouth, NH. Appetizers will be provided by Peppercorn Natural Foods. The cost per $10 per person. Please RSVP to Speare Primary Care 603-238-2194 or RehabFit 603-238-2225.
Speare Trains & Hires High School LNAs
Posted on January 23rd, 2020 by Speare Memorial Hospital
Speare and Plymouth Regional High School have been working together since their licensed nursing assistant (LNA) program began 15 years ago. In addition to hiring many LNA students from the program, Speare has donated bedside tables and assisted the high school in purchasing new adjustable beds to help make the school’s lab seem more like […]
Speare Welcomes its First Baby of 2020
Posted on January 8th, 2020 by Speare Memorial Hospital
Happy New Year and welcome to the world, Henry Curtis, the first baby born at Speare Memorial Hospital in 2020. Congratulations to parents Meaghan and Craig Babbitt of Campton, NH on the new addition to their family! A patient at Plymouth OB/GYN Meaghan said, “Speare is amazing. The experience in the birthing suite was so intimate. Dr. Ebner […]