- Your surgeon’s office will schedule your surgical procedure. At the same time the surgeon’s office will schedule you for a 30 minute nursing telephone interview or a 1 ½ to 2 hour face-to-face appointment in the Pre-op Testing Center at Speare Memorial Hospital. Whether you have a telephone interview or a face to face interview is dependent upon what type of surgical procedure you are having and your past medical history. Either of these appointments will be made approximately two weeks prior to your surgery date. A pre-operative questionnaire is available to help you with the nursing interview. Whether you have a telephone interview or a face to face interview these are the questions that will be asked of you. If you have a telephone interview please set aside this scheduled 30 minutes without interruptions
- We also suggest that prior to either of these appointments you write down any questions you may have.
- Once your surgery is scheduled please arrange for someone to bring you home on either the day of your surgery or day of discharge. You must have a responsible adult (not a taxi) drive you home and we strongly recommend that someone stay with you until at least the following morning.
During either appointment (telephone interview or face to face interview) you can expect:
- A nurse to ask you about your past medical and surgical history
- To be asked the name and dosage of all medication you are taking, including prescription, non-prescription, over the counter medications, and aspirin. You should also provide the name and dosage of any vitamins, herbals and diet supplements. Please have your medications or a list of medications that you take, including times, and dosages for each.
- To be asked if you have any allergies and what the reaction is.
- To review customized instructions regarding what medication to take or stop prior to surgery.
- To provide name and telephone number of your primary care physician and specialist.
- To be asked about a Living Will, Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare (DPOAH), and/or guardian papers if applicable. Please bring copies of these documents if applicable.
- To have the opportunity to ask questions and have your questions answered. Feel free to ask any questions or express any concerns you may have.
If you are scheduled for a face to face interview you can also expect in addition to the above:
- To be in the Testing Center for 1 ½ – 2 hours.
- To meet with an Anesthesia provider.
- To meet with Rehabilitation and/or Case Management as necessary.
- To have required pre-operative testing, if not already complete: labs, EKG, x-ray, etc.
If you have an appointment at the Pre-Op Testing Center, come to the main entrance of the hospital and go to Outpatient Registration. The Pre-Op Registered Nurse will come and get you.